Friday, August 2, 2013

Relishing Your Food: Chow Chow

The melange of vegetables really shines
in this less-sweet version of the classic relish.
In my childhood, purple hull peas were frequently part of the menu.  When you eat as many as we did, you need a little something to spice up the flavor.  My grandmother often made what we called Chow Chow, but is known in many other places as Piccalilli.  Since you rarely see it in the grocery, and I'm in canning mode this summer, I decided to try making some of my own.  I do not have my grandmother's recipe so I turned to one of my favorite cookbooks:  Blue Ribbon Recipes.


Hint:  Give yourself a break and use your
food processor to chop the vegetables finely.

Chow Chow Relish


1.5 c. chopped green tomatoes
4 c. chopped cabbage
2 c. chopped onions
2 c. chopped sweet red pepper, seeds removed
0.5 c. pickling salt
3 T. mustard seed
2 T. celery seed
1 T. pickling spice
1 t. turmeric
4 c. vinegar
1.5 c. sugar

Mix vegetables together and place in gallon jar.  Dissolve salt in 8 cups of water; pour over vegetables.  Cover with dishcloth or coffee filter and let stand in a cool place overnight; drain, pressing out liquid.  If too salty, rinse and drain again.  Tie spices (except for ground turmeric which you add directly to vinegar) in cheesecloth or coffee filter.  Add to vinegar and 1 c. water; let simmer 5 minutes.  Add sugar; stir until dissolved.  Add vegetables; simmer 15 minutes.  Bring to a boil; pack into hot jars leaving 0.25" headspace.  Process 10 minutes in water bath canner.  Makes 5-6 half-pints.

I'm already enjoying the fresh summer taste!  What about you?

What's cooking in your Savory kitchen?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's cooking? Thank you for commenting!