Monday, July 9, 2012

Don't let the heat put you in a pickle!

First batch!
For the past few years, my summers have developed a theme.  One year was the Yard Summer where I tried to get my new yard in order by planting roses and bulbs.  Then there was Bread Summer and I spent the whole summer learning to work with yeast.  Last summer was Garden Summer, with lots of peppers but scant few tomatoes.  This summer is shaping up to be Canning Summer.



My in-laws have been kind enough to share the excess of their cucumbers with me and I've been making (drumroll, please) pickles!  This is not my first attempt at pickles.  I tried several years ago and they were just awful--mushy, sour, yuck.

Fresh out of the canner!
This year I scoped out some new recipes.  Most importantly, I live in a dill household.  My children and my husband (the Resident Dragon) will eat no other kind.  So, I searched the Internet (yes, I know I have over 50 cookbooks on the shelf) and found a Fresh-Pack Dills recipe at Cooks.com.

Vinegar with spices!
So, in I plunged.  I've collected a few gallon jars over the years so I used those for brining the cucumbers overnight.  Then I made the pickles exactly according to the recipe with the following customizations:
  • I quartered the cucumbers into spears; 
  • I used dill seed instead of dill weed; and
  • I packed them into pint jars.
My first batch has "aged" enough and has received the Dragon's seal of approval (in fact, he's finished the first jar and has been looking for the pickle stash)!

Cucumbers in brine
While I will eat dill pickles, I really prefer sweet or bread-and-butter.  So I fired up my browser again and found a likely recipe by Bonnie Blue Crouse.  I have, of course, customized it quite a bit so here's my version:

Bread & Butter on left, dill on the right
Classic Bread & Butter Pickles 
(based on a recipe by Bonnie Blue Crouse)
Makes 7 to 8 pints

4 quarts thinly sliced cucumbers
2 cups thinly sliced white onions (I used Vidalias)
1 cup red bell pepper cut in thin strips
½ cup coarse kosher salt
Ice
4 cups apple-cider vinegar
4 cups white sugar
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons pickling spice

  1. Mix sliced cucumbers, onion, and peppers in a large plastic or stainless-steel container. Toss gently to distribute evenly. Cover with crushed ice and set aside for 3 hours.
  2. In a large stainless-steel pot, bring 4 cups of vinegar to a boil. Mix in sugar, turmeric and spices. Bring to boil until sugar is thoroughly dissolved.  At this point you can strain out the spices, if you prefer, but that will result in a milder pickle.
  3. Drain vegetables well, removing any ice that is left. Add vegetables to boiling brine and stir gently. Bring to boil for just 1 minute.
  4. Remove from heat and pack into sterilized pint glass jars, vegetables first and then brine. If you've left the spices in the vinegar, don't forget to gently stir the pot from time to time to evenly distribute the spices. Leave ½-inch headroom, but be sure the brine covers the vegetables; if necessary, add a bit more, filling up to ¼ inch from the top. Tap jars once or twice on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Wipe rims of jars and close with 2-piece lids.
  5. Process jars in boiling water bath for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on your altitude.
  6. Remove jars and allow to cool and seal. Store away from light in cupboard or cabinet.
There they are!  I hope you enjoy them as much I have have!

So, what's cooking in your kitchen?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's cooking? Thank you for commenting!